Custom Software Apps & SharePoint Consulting

SharePoint Consultant Troubleshoot: Fixing Workflow Not Found Exception

SharePoint Consultant & New Workflow Manager Installations

The SharePoint consultant team needed to remove a Web Front End (WFE) from a SharePoint  farm for development reasons, but afterwards we noticed that workflows stopped working.  To remedy this, I decided to just re-install Workflow Manager on the main WFE.  Though this is not normally a recommended practice, we had few concerns since we are only working off a development environment. I installed Workflow Manager on the WFE, then registered Workflow Manager using the –Force parameter to write over the previously registered Workflow Manager. Register-SPWorkflowService –SPSite “http://mysite” -WorkflowHostUri “http://mysite:12291” -AllowOAuthHttp -Force

Troubleshooting SharePoint Workflow Errors

SharePoint consultant trouble shooting: error message However after installing Workflow Manager on the WFE I got the following error when starting a workflow:  “Something went wrong.  To try again, reload the page and then start the workflow.” This error wasn’t terribly descriptive, so I then checked the ULS logs and found these two errors:

“Microsoft.Workflow.Client.WorkflowNotFoundException: Workflow ‘e0a7dd54-cdb2-430f-bd98-16f6f9c1132c’, for scope ‘/SharePoint/default/8586cf62-a76c-464b-8ad0-2609f5c6cc01/b2301f34-5ce3-4237-b818-0942146a7541’, was not found. HTTP headers received from the server – ActivityId: 34956577-bdab-4a56-a2bf-25b2f33dc0af. NodeId: BOGBOWSDEV01. Scope: /SharePoint/default/8586cf62-a76c-464b-8ad0-2609f5c6cc01/b2301f34-5ce3-4237-b818-0942146a7541. Client ActivityId : a7c4369c-e8b8-f00e-7f24-c293dc32ac42. —> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. at Microsoft.Workflow.Common.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result) at Microsoft.Workflow.Client.HttpGetResponseAsyncResult`1.End(IAsyncResult result) at Microsoft.Workflow.Client.ClientHelpers.Se… a7c4369c-e8b8-f00e-7f24-c293dc32ac42”

“Exception occured in scope Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.WorkflowInstanceService.StartWorkflowOnListItem. Exception=Microsoft.Workflow.Client.WorkflowNotFoundException: Workflow ‘e0a7dd54-cdb2-430f-bd98-16f6f9c1132c’, for scope ‘/SharePoint/default/8586cf62-a76c-464b-8ad0-2609f5c6cc01/b2301f34-5ce3-4237-b818-0942146a7541’, was not found. HTTP headers received from the server – ActivityId: 34956577-bdab-4a56-a2bf-25b2f33dc0af. NodeId: BOGBOWSDEV01. Scope: /SharePoint/default/8586cf62-a76c-464b-8ad0-2609f5c6cc01/b2301f34-5ce3-4237-b818-0942146a7541. Client ActivityId : a7c4369c-e8b8-f00e-7f24-c293dc32ac42. —> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. at Microsoft.Workflow.Common.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result) at Micro… a7c4369c-e8b8-f00e-7f24-c293dc32ac42”

Again, these errors weren’t very descriptive.  Through a bit of trial, error, and luck, I finally realized that the previously existing workflows were only deployed to the old Workflow Manager, which was no longer in use.  Obviously the workflows would need to be redeployed for the new Workflow Manager.  I then tried redeploying the workflows, and success!  The workflows worked as expected. For more SharePoint troubleshooting tips, visit our best practices blog!

Share this post with your friends

Skip to content